The following pictures were the result of hoverboard testing by the Surrey County Council. These 90 hoverboards were imported from Hong Kong via Heathrow Airport and were intercepted by Surrey trading standards officers to be sent for testing in order to ensure that they met electrical safety standards.
They clearly did not.
The boards had defective battery packs and other faulty features which could have led to them explode without warning. Testing officials discovered these faults when some of the hoverboards caught fire and they had to take out the fire extinguishers.
After being crushed, the material was sent for recycling. This is what the hoverboards now look like.
Story and images via Surrey County Council.