MILPITAS, Calif., — Intersil Corporation (NASDAQ: ISIL), a leading provider of innovative power management and precision analog solutions, today introduced a pair of highly integrated power management ICs (PMICs) that enable the industry’s first credit card-size motherboards for high-end ultrabook and tablet computers powered by 2-cell Li-ion batteries. The single-chip ISL95908 PMIC delivers eight voltage rails optimized to support subsystem peripheral power requirements for new Intel IMVP8 platforms, and the single-chip ISL95906 provides eight power rails for VR12.6-compliant systems. The devices measure 5.5mm x 5.5mm, enabling PC motherboards that are 75% smaller than previously possible using discrete switchers, inductors and capacitors.
The ISL9590x PMICs address the trend toward slimmer ultrabooks, tablets and 2-in-1 computers that offer more features and longer battery life. Both PMICs integrate a controller, power and driver MOSFETS, VTT LDO regulator, independent enable and power-good indicators, I2C interfaces, and fault protection/monitoring for eight synchronous buck regulators. They deliver 90% efficiency and integrate 2x more functionality than the nearest competitor, allowing designers to use fewer external components, including smaller, low-profile inductors and capacitors. Now mobile computing OEMs only need three devices – PMIC, core voltage regulator and battery charger – to power up the CPU/GPU, battery, and subsystem peripherals: flash memory, USB, HDMI, audio, sensors, camera module and WiFi.
The ISL9590x are the industry’s only single-chip solutions that support the Intel and Microsoft Connected Standby standard, which provides an instant-on, always-connected experience similar to smartphones. The Connected Standby low-power mode maintains Internet connectivity, email and applications while the system is asleep. Both PMICs employ Intersil’s proprietary R4 modulation technology, which delivers high light-load efficiency, ultra-fast transient response, and seamless continuous-conduction mode (CCM) and discontinuous-conduction mode (DCM) transitions.
“Our customers are innovating in smaller and thinner form factors and Intersil’s latest PMIC solutions offer unprecedented versatility, performance and integration to support next generation devices,” said Andrew Cowell, senior vice president of Mobile Power Products at Intersil. “The ISL9590x PMICs enable ultrabooks with 360-degree hinges that for the first time allow users to rotate a touchscreen full circle to conceal the keyboard and use the system like a tablet. Manufacturers also have more space to add another Li-ion battery to further extend battery life.”
Key Features and Specifications of ISL95908 and ISL95906
- ISL95908 provides IMPV8 regulation at 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V/2.5V, 1V, 0.975V, and 0.9V
- ISL95906 provides VR12.6 regulation at 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V,1.5V, 1.05V
- Eight efficient 1MHz integrated FET switching regulators
- Internal compensation eliminates need to design external compensation network
- Programmable VR3 and VTT regulators for system memory, including DDR3/L/U, LPDDR3 and DDR4
- Connected standby with low-power consumption mode
- Extensive fault protection for over-current, over-voltage, under-voltage, and over-temperature with alert signal
- Independent power-good indicator for each regulator
- Independent enable signals for each regulator offers maximum sequencing flexibility
- I2C bus allows system fault monitoring, enable control, configurable GPIO and output voltage offset programming
- Configuration pin for additional system programming
Pricing and Availability
The ISL95908 and the ISL95906 are available now in 5.5mm x 5.5mm, 121-bump WLCSP packages. Pricing for both PMICs is $7 USD in 3k quantities. For more information on the ISL95908, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl95908. For more information on the ISL95906, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl95906.